Thursday, March 3, 2011

PS, I Love You

Title: PS,  I Love You
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Published: 2004
Read: October 2005
Number of pages: 512
Fiction
Where I obtained the book: Barnes and Noble
How I discovered it: browsing through the aisles of Barnes and Noble
My grade: A



This novel is so charming and has a clever premise that I can forgive the amateur mistakes from first-time novelist Ahern (who was in her early twenties when she wrote this) such as over-using cliches and repeating lines such as "he/she rolled his/her eyes to heaven". Of course, while I mad admit the story was enjoyable and fun to read, let's face it: the fact that she is the daughter of the Prime Minister of Ireland at the time probably helped her a lot to get it published. She's since published a handful of books - I've only read one other by her and didn't particularly care for it. 

This book is about a young woman named Holly who lost her husband, Gerry, to a brain tumor and before he died, he left her ten letters that she is instructed to open each month for the rest of the year. Inside are tasks he gives her to do and he signs each one with 'PS, I love you'. She learns to cope without him and leans on her family and friend for support and becomes closer to one of her brothers she wasn't so tight with before. She does meet a new guy and you think he might be a new love interest for her. 

This book was made into a movie with Hilary Swank and it was okay, but you might like the book better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment