Friday, January 14, 2011

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Title: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Author: Aaron Ralston
Published: 2004
Read: January 2011
Number of pages: 368
Non-fiction
Where I obtained the book: iTunes
How I discovered it: All the press from 127 Hours 
My grade: B

I didn't read this book, per se, it was actually an audiobook I listened to on my iPod. I got an iTunes gift card for Christmas and decided to spend half of it on an audiobook and this was the one I chose. As your probably know by now, Between a Rock and a Hard Place is the book that the film 127 Hours is based on. In April 2003, Ralston (who also narrated the audiobook), an avid adventurer who was 27 at the time, went hiking in the mountains of a national park in Utah by himself without telling anyone where he was going. (First stupid mistake right there). His arm became pinned between a boulder and a rock wall and he was there for five days before he became desperate and cut off his own arm. I'll let that sink in for you.

Even if I wanted to see the movie, I couldn't because it's not playing in my area. But even if it were, I don't know if I would want to watch it because LISTENING to him describe how he had to amputate his arm made me cringe and a couple of times I found my hands covering my ears. I don't know if I could handle actually SEEING it. 

Obviously the most fascinating thing about the story is how he had to survive those five days. He tried to ration out the remaining food as best as he could, but he didn't have much so it didn't last very long. He was more concerned about his water supply, which he didn't have very much of either. He tried to take only a few sips only a couple hours but soon ran out and inevitably had to turn to drinking his urine. Ewww. 

He tries to chip away at the boulder and rock wall to see if maybe he can pry himself loose, but that doesn't work. If only he had a cell phone, but he doesn't! (Second stupid mistake right there - although who knows if it would have even worked). He soon realizes he has three options: wait for someone to find him (which is unlikely since nobody knows where he is and he never sees any hikers), wait to die (which he almost comes to accept as he has a video camera and tapes a goodbye to his friends and family), or cut off his own arm. At one point, he's desperate and does take a stab (ha ha, I made a pun!) at it, but realizes he can't cut through his bone. I think this was during the third day when he tries that. It's not until two days later that he realizes he should break his arm so the bones separate and he can cut through his arm then. Seriously, I'm surprised he didn't pass out from all that pain!

Ironically the same day he sets himself free is the same day that people discover where he is and are searching for him in the park. Maybe if he had waited a little longer, he could have been found. True, his arm probably would have been amputated anyway since it had been under a rock for so long, but maybe they could have removed the bolder and he could have had it amputated in a hospital...by doctors....who know what they're doing. 

He also talks about other hiking adventures, which I admit I kind of zoned off during. And he talks about how his family and friends and the police eventually found where he had gone. I bet he never goes anywhere without telling someone where he's going to be! 


No comments:

Post a Comment